His Highness the Aga Khan’s Visit to the UK
Mawlana Hazar Imam arrived in London on June 25, 2018 to commence his Diamond Jubilee visit to the United Kingdom at the invitation of the government. Mawlana Hazar Imam was accompanied by Prince Amyn on arrival and was warmly welcomed at the airport by Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon, Minister of State for the Commonwealth and the United Nations, as well as leaders of the Ismaili Jamat.
On Tuesday, June 26, 2018, HRH The Prince of Wales opened The Aga Khan Centre in King’s Cross in the presence of Mawlana Hazar Imam. Situated at the heart of London’s Knowledge Quarter, the Aga Khan Centre, designed by Maki and Associates, led by Fumihiko Maki, one of Japan’s most distinguished contemporary architects, provides a new home for a number of UK based organisations founded by His Highness the Aga Khan: The Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS), the Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (AKU-ISMC) and the Aga Khan Foundation UK (AKF UK).
While in the United Kingdom, Mawlana Hazar Imam will spend time with the Jamats from Austria, Denmark, Ireland, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
- Government of UK announcement: Prime Minister Theresa May hosts His Highness the Aga Khan at 10 Downing Street
- Government of UK announcement: UK welcomes His Highness the Aga Khan for the opening of new academic centre in London
- Press Release on AKDN: UK Government welcomes His Highness the Aga Khan on the occasion of his Diamond Jubilee
- Article and photos in The.Ismaili: Mawlana Hazar Imam meets with the Prime Minister of the United Kingdon
- Press Release on AKDN: Prime Minister May and His Highness the Aga Khan underscore the importance of partnership between the UK and the Ismaili Imamat
- Article and photos in The.Ismaili: Aga Khan Centre inaugurated in London
- Press Release on AKDN: Aga Khan Centre inaugurated in King’s Cross, London (includes links to remarks by the Aga Khan)
- Report and photos in The.Ismaili: Mawlana Hazar Imam in the UK
- Video on The.Ismaili: Mawlana Hazar Imam arrives in the United Kingdom
His Highness the Aga Khan’s Visit to France
Mawlana Hazar Imam, His Highness the Aga Khan, granted a Diamond Jubilee Darbar in Paris on June 23, 2018 for the France jurisdiction Jamat. Members of the Jamat from France, Belgium, Switzerland, and Côte d’Ivoire, along with murids from the UK jurisdiction who were unable to travel to the UK, gathered for the historic Darbar at Porte de Versailles, the same venue where Mawlana Hazar Imam first met with the France Jamat in 1980. Hazar Imam complimented all volunteers for their excellent work, including many who had come from the UK to support the France volunteer corps, exemplifying a spirit of unity in service.
Delivering a Loyalty Address on behalf of the Jamat present, Ismaili Council for France President Shamir Samdjee expressed gratitude to Mawlana Hazar Imam.
A gift of one of the earliest copies of the Holy Qur’an to have been made in China was also presented to Hazar Imam on behalf of the Jamat. The 15th century manuscript, transcribed by Rashad ibn ‘Ali al-Sini in Khanbaliq (modern day Beijing), has lines of Arabic Chinese script on each page and dates back to the fifth day of Muharram in 804AH.
Date posted: June 26, 2018.
Last updated: June 28, 2018.
Barakah welcomes your feedback. Please complete the LEAVE A REPLY form below or send your comment to simerg@. Your letter may be edited for length and brevity, and is subject to moderation.
This website, Barakah, is a special project by http://www.Simerg.com and is dedicated to the textual and visual celebration of His Highness the Aga Khan as he celebrates his Diamond Jubilee or 60 years of Imamat.